My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chew On This

I like good food.  When I was 11 years old, I started cooking and collecting recipes.  That was over 30 years ago.  Since then, I've been cooking, perfecting and creating great recipes.  About a month ago, I was laid off from my job.  With my newfound free time, I can finally try all the recipes and cookbooks I never got around to, and share my time-tested ones;  the ones my family gets excited about.  Since I'm generally hyperactive, this will give me (and hopefully you) something to chew on.

About my family;  I've been married for 23 years to a great guy and we have 3 zany young adults....Keith (21)/Curtis (19)/and Audrey (16).  A fantastic testing ground for recipes.
Since the "layoff," Audrey has been telling me to open a restaurant or write a cookbook.  I get enough good feedback that I am confident to share my stuff. 

A few days ago, my neighbor left a big zucchini on my doorstep.  One of the many pleasures of Summer.  I made Zucchini Pancakes for lunch today.  My daughter loved them.

Zucchini Pancakes

3 cups shredded zucchini (one large or 2 medium)
1/4 cup shredded onion
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
extra virgin olive oil for cooking

Heat oven to 300 degrees F.

Grate zucchini with a box grater.  Pile shredded zucchini on two paper towels.  Wrap the paper towels around the zucchini and squeeze out as much water as you can.  Place shreds in a large mixing bowl and add eggs and onion.  Stir in flour, baking powder, salt & pepper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add olive oil to coat the pan, about 2 or 3 tablespoons.  Drop 1/4 cup dollops of batter into pan and press with a fork to about 1/3" thick.  Cook pancakes about 3 minutes on each side or until brown and crispy around the edges.  Transfer pancakes to a cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven.  Add more oil to the pan if needed and finish cooking the pancakes in batches.  Serve hot as soon as they are all cooked.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with sour cream.

1 comment:

Donna S said...

Love Zucchini pancakes...I use rice flour to make them Gluten Free...Good Luck with the blog..I am a follower for sure...
Love, A.D.