My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic

"Three nickels will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat"
~New York Saying
I know, I know, you've probably already had this.  The recipe has been around for at least 40 years, and I've always wanted to make it.  The acquisition of my new Le Creuset Dutch oven was a good excuse.  Now, usually I wouldn't serve an untested meal to guests, but I called some good friends and asked them if they would come over and be my guinea pigs.  If it bombed, I could always order pizza, right?  I looked at both James Beard's version and Ina Garten's and married them, tweaking things to my liking.  James Beard's called for only legs and thighs cooked in a Dutch oven for 1 1/2 hours.  I liked that.  But he put in unpeeled garlic and called for vermouth, whereas Ina Garten used peeled garlic and Cognac...two things I preferred.   Do you see where I'm going with this?


This was a fantastic meal that was easy, economical, smelled heavenly while cooking and everybody loved it.  Serve this with good French bread to spread the soft roasted garlic on.  Such a good relaxed dinner to share with friends.  I should have made this years ago.  So many good things to cook, so little time.

Our friends brought dessert from Lucibello's in New Haven, CT.  Let me tell you...these treats are worth a drive from ANYWHERE!
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic


3 whole heads garlic, about 40 cloves
4 stalks of celery, chopped
2 medium onions, sliced
6 sprigs fresh parsley
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 chicken legs- any mixture of drumsticks and thighs (skin on)
6 tablespoons Cognac, divided
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
a pinch of thyme
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup heavy cream
Sliced French bread, warmed


Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of water for 60 seconds.  Drain the garlic and peel.  Set aside.


Dry the chicken with paper towels.  Season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat.  In batches, brown the chicken on both sides, about 3-5 minutes on each side.  When a batch is done, transfer it to a plate and continue browning the chicken, in batches, until all pieces are browned.  Set all chicken aside.


In the same pot, lower the heat and saute the peeled garlic cloves for about 5 minutes until they become golden.
Place celery and onion in the bottom of your Dutch oven.  Top with browned chicken and garlic cloves.  
In a small bowl, mix together wine, 1/2 of the Cognac, thyme, chopped parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  Pour over chicken.  Cover pot and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.


Right before serving, using tongs, remove chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.  In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of the hot juices from the Dutch oven and the flour, then whisk this back into the remaining juices in the pot.  Place Dutch oven on stove on medium.  Add the remaining Cognac and the cream.  Add salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil.  Pour the sauce and garlic over the chicken and serve immediately with warm French bread.
Serves 6.
Nothing but crumbs left....

13 comments:

marley said...

*nom nom*

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

Oh, sure, a REAL recipe. :) I do a "ghetto" version because I'm so lazy. I brown my chicken (boneless, skinless breasts, or even just the tenders --- lazy...). Then I toss the 40 cloves of un-peeled garlic into the pan, put the browned chicken on top, sacrifice a glass of white wine and pour that in, cover, and ignore for 30-40 minutes. Yes, on the stove top. Serve with brown rice and something green (if you feel like it).

Please don't cringe. It's good that I can do this after work and still eat before 9 pm. Make sure to serve some extra-crusty bread for all that roasted garlic. nom nom nom

:):):)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@leslie: I hear ya, haha! Ina Garten's version is done on the stove top just like that, but I was looking for an excuse to use my new pan :)! It's a versatile easy recipe. Thanks for including your version...sounds great!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@marley: Aw, thanks buddy ;-)

Anonymous said...

This recipe I know from my cousin in Philly when I was there first time in 1987 -it was delicious
Elma

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Elma: That's great! I knew most people probably have had it or heard of it at one time or another.

La Bella Cooks said...

I think this recipe is fabulous and I just tried it recently. Your post has me craving it once again!

Anonymous said...

Garlic, yummy!! I love this dish! :)

Anonymous said...

Margeret- I cant belive to eat such- but when I tast it it was great! the garlic wasn't so strong as I thought

Elma

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Bridgette: thanks!
@Sweetpeas: Oh yeah!
@Elma: Yes, the roasting mellows the garlic. When you spread it on the bread it's almost sweet!

Anonymous said...

I love bread with carlic- but not my stomach .-((((((

Elma

Anna Johnston said...

Yep. Nom nom nom nom :)
Such an oldie but a goldie, haven't made it for ages but you've inspired me with your little tweeks, think this one has to go in 'the folder' it sounds so good.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Anna: I have a folder too...your butter ball cookies are in it!