My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Beef Empanadas with Black Bean Dipping Sauce

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song over hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
~J. R.R. Tolkien
I'm a little behind.  I seem to be making a lot of recipes that I discovered in June.  I suppose it could be worse.  They could be the recipes I discovered in 1996 and have been meaning to get to.  Seriously... I have a big backlog.  This one was a great discovery.  It was in the June edition of Bon Apetit.  
Football season caught me by surprise last weekend, but this Saturday, I'll be prepared!  We love to have little gatherings on game days, and food always plays a part in the good times.  

I was skeptical of the bean dipping sauce, but went with it anyway.  It was surprisingly good.  Even Audrey, who begged off while I was serving it, dipped her finger in for a taste and changed her mind.

For something that looked rather plain, these empanadas evoked quite a response from my two dinner co-horts.  The Mister exclaimed "DAMN!" or rather, "daaay-yum."  When I said I thought they'd be great for game day,  he responded "you'll have to make dozens."  Audrey was equally effusive in her comments, even regarding the bean dip, concluding with "These are a new favorite.  You need to make them again."  And I just might...this Saturday for the Notre Dame vs. Michigan State game (go Irish!).

Beef Empanadas with Black Bean Dipping Sauce
Recipe from Grace Bay Club in Turks and Caicos, as presented by Bon Apetit
Makes 12.

Beef Empanadas
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup fresh cilantro (I didn't have any, so I used parsley)
[I added 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar to mine]
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 17.3 ounce packages frozen puff pastry (3 sheets) thawed
3 large egg yolks, beaten (for glaze)

Dipping Sauce
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup sour cream
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped and divided
2 large scallions, chopped, divided
salt and pepper

Beef Empanadas: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beef and garlic; cook, stirring often and breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until beef is cooked, about 3 minutes.  Add tomato paste, cumin, and cayenne.  Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring often, to let flavors meld, about 4 minutes.  Add cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper.  Let filling cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares, for a total of 12.  Lightly brush edges of squares with glaze.  Spoon filling into the center of each [I chose to add a little grated cheddar at this step], dividing equally.  Fold edges over, forming triangles, and press to seal.  Crimp edges with a fork.  Divide triangles between sheets.  Brush tops with glaze.  DO AHEAD: Can be prepared 6 hours in advance.  Cover and chill.
Bake until tops are puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Dipping Sauce
Meanwhile, puree beans and sour cream in blender until smooth.  Transfer to a medium bowl.  Stir in half of tomatoes and half of scallions.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle remaining tomatoes and scallions over.


4 comments:

TinaRBK said...

I completely understand about the backlog and I love the RSVP section of Bon Appetit. These empanadas look delicious and I like that the outside is puff pastry-time saver. Well done.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Tina: Thanks! Yes, so much to cook, so little time. These were remarkably easy and puff pastry always tastes great!

SChee said...

You know what Im loving about your blog?? You share REAL recipes and not just beautiful images of food that not everyone can manage to get on the plate. Plus the recipes are pretty easy to make. Looks like your empanadas have won you another loyal follower:)

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@SChee: So happy you stopped by and took the time to comment. Your kind words are very appreciated. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your recipes as well! Have a great weekend!