My Motto

May the muffin rise to greet you, may your friends be always at your door, and until we meet again, warm a single-malt in the palm of your hand and make something homemade for someone you love.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Welcome to the Dark Side

"Anyone who says they're not afraid at the time of a hurricane is either a fool or a liar, or a little bit of both. "
~Anderson Cooper
Life at our house for 5 days
Hurricane Irene slams into the East Coast, Aug 28 2011
Photo by NASA
If you're wondering why the blog has stalled in silence this past week, you can blame Irene.  Hurricane Irene. 
Sunday morning, August 28th, we were expecting her and lost power about 6 a.m. just as we were getting up, curious to watch the storm the media had hyped all week.  Watching out the window, it didn't seem too bad, really.  The action seemed to wrap up mid-afternoon, so we went for a walk around the neighborhood.
Tree down
Tree down across the road (one of many!)

























Snapped telephone pole
Ka-POW!  This tree looks like it exploded!
Tree on a power line, (the bugger!!!)
Now that's torque, Baby!
Still windy by the ocean
We lost power at 6 a.m. on Sunday, and it was not restored until 2 a.m. Friday.  FIVE WHOLE DAYS....Lordy.  Wandered into Panera on Monday morning for coffee, because of all things....I NEED coffee....real-good-coffee, or I get cranky, I admit it.  But when I read in the paper what the folks in upstate New York and Vermont were going through with all the flooding, I knew we had it easy comparatively and that we should just suck it up and not complain.  I tried really hard to stay positive, but by Wednesday I was starting to lose it.   SO happy to be back with you :-).

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are safe.

Di said...

Wow, 5 days is crazy! I'm really glad to hear that you guys are okay.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Kate & @Di:

Thanks!

Kimby said...

Those are not small trees! Glad to hear you came through it okay, despite the power loss.

Sorry I've been lurking lately (not commenting) -- it's a treat to visit you and I hope you got that cup of coffee!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

@Kimby: I made sure I got that cup of coffee EVERY DAY! The roads would have had to have been completely impassable not to, and even then, I probably would have hiked! Always enjoy seeing you here. Hope you had a great weekend!

T and Tea Cake said...

Oh my, looks bad, but I am happy for you that nothing tooo serious has happened. 5 days without electricity. Geee.
Cheers,
Tobias